2 Sept 2012

Depotting a MAC LE quad

This spring, I bought a MAC LE quad palette which I wanted to depot even before I had it in my hands. For me, the new quad palettes by MAC are too bulky and just not handy and manageable enough. The new design came out in 2010 (see a blog post comparing the new and the old design of the MAC quad palettes by MAC Karrie (in german)) - fortunately, the MAC 15 palette has remained unchanged. This is why I do use 4 of them (deconstructed) as shown in my first make up collection overview post.

Since I am lucky to own 3 MAC quad palettes of the old design (I wish I had bought more of them when they still were available ...) which I love for traveling, I am just boycotting the new design. For storing my eye shadows at home, I use 4 MAC 15 palettes which I have deconstructed in order to able to store eye shadows of different (see my make up collection post). For traveling my three 'old design' quads from MAC are more than enough - 12 well chosen eye shadows should be perfect for travelling. Below, you can see them with 4 MAC eye shadows (Shroom, Vanilla, Patina & Concrete)



The palette, I want to depot today is the Shop & Drop palette from the Shop, Shop, Shop, Cook, Cook, Cook collection (see the full LE at Temptalia). In LE quads, the eye shadows are glued into the palette and this makes the depotting pretty difficult. My first attempts to depot the eye shadows, were unsuccessfull. Heating the bottom of the palette did not help in softening the glue and I just did not find a way to get rid of this crappy packaging. 

Fortunately, I found this tutorial on how to depot eye shadows from the new LE quads by MAC by AEreviews.

This tutorial has helped me a lot but nevertheless, it was still a lot of hard work. ;-) First I had to take of the bottom (which was pretty tightly attached). And then I had to heat the bottoms of the eye shadow pans and dig a deep hole into the plastic with a knife. Why do they have to build these new quads so sturdy? Have a look at the pictures below.

This is the palette, I wanted to depot. It's the Shop & Drop palette (eye shadows: Sugar Snack, Hypnotizing, Power Boosted, Shop & Drop):

First I had to take off the bottom of the palette with a knife:

Afterwards, I heated the bottom of the eye shadow pan with a candle in order to soften the glue - as mentioned in the tutorial above. Then I had to dig a hole into the plastic and push the eye shadow out with a needle. The first eye shadow (Hypnotizing) is coming out:

 The hole left in the packaging:

The stuff I used for depotting (a candle instead of a lighter, a knife and a needle):

The depotted eye shadows on the bottom of the palette:

Now I'll distribute them in my palettes for the depotted eye shadows and the packaging will end in the dumpster. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment