31 Aug 2012

Link Love July & August

Last month I have not posted any link love. I have not read that many blogs in July as it was a really good working month. Unfortunately, August was not so great concerning work progress but I hope that September will be great again. Hence, it looks like this post category is something that only comes up every couple of months. Now I again feel the urge to share some links with you. Don't be afraid, this time it's not that many links like last time - but there are still pretty many of them. Sorry! I hope you don't feel too overwhelmed to read them! :-)

Here are the posts and articles or just news I enjoyed reading lately:
  • Isn't this an incredibly cute little kitchen? What I like most about this kitchen is that it is small and there is no exquisite design or incredibly expensive stuff. It also is tiny and could actually be the kitchen of an everyday average person. What makes this kitchen stunning, however, is the exquisite taste of arrangement and structure and organization of the kitchen essentials. Hence, the inhabitant obviously has an extraordinary taste and I feel very much inspired to improve my own (a bit bigger) kitchen that does not look that gorgeous.  
  • As Neil Armstrong died a couple of days ago, the Apollo 11 moon landing is currently again on everyone's lips. I stumbled upon this link with a reminder about a webpage called "We choose the moon" that lets you re-live the entire mission "step to step, word by word". It definitely is worth a visit.
  • Marissa Mayer left Google in July and went to Yahoo. This is *THE* web page she should have a look at. ;-) 
  • A nice post by a high school teacher with some really good advice: Fake it until you make it. She is absolutely right! 
  • On Unclutterer, Deb writes about 8 ways to cut clutter from our communication. Great advice, I have set a bookmark!
  • Another nice advice for life I enjoyed reading are these 9 ideas on how to get organized now by life-hack. I will try to focus on these ideas in September. 
  • Do you need motivation or just someone who kicks your ass? Here is exactly what you need. ;-)
  • On BBC I read a nice article about the enduring appeal of Sherlock Holmes. And I also listened to a documentary about Anton Chekhov's life on BBC. 
  • I also enjoyed reading about Sarah's description of how she made the escape of her former life. I discovered this post while reading about her current goals. Her goals and how she made the escape were very inspiring reads. 
  • Something else worth thinking about was how Matt Honan was hacked because Amazon and Apple have revealed complementary information about his credit card. This information flaw was really devastating. Hackers were able to reconstruct Matt Honans' (and maybe several other peoples') credit card number. Amazon fortunately has closed this security hole in the mean time. Nevertheless, it reminded me how important it is to be cautious. This threat was not foreseeable but as there are so many unforeseeable threats, it is even more important to take care that you take the basic steps towards more security.
  • I am experimenting with apps on my smartphone and stumbled upon popular freelancer apps for work-life balance
  • Sleeping more and better is currently in my focus as you might have read in my goals for September. I stumbled upon an article about ten common sleep mistakes on lifehack and I also enjoyed reading an article about the impact of sleep deprivation on academic results. Damn, I really have to sleep more!
  • I can't wait to finish my thesis and start to knit again. I stumbled upon this incredibly cute sweater designed by one of my favourite knitting designers: Norah Gaughan. I also stumbled upon a really interesting article about ravelry (from the point of view of a non-knitting techie). Ravelry rocks indeed and is a tight, helpful and friendly network - very different from other social online networks! Here is another article about the creativity but also the impact of the Ravelry community (and the lack of humour of the U.S. Olympic Committee which turned out to even be quite self-destructive) by the Washington Post. One day, I hope to be able to attend the "Tour to fleece". ;-)
  • Meagan introduced me to Coach and now I feel like needing a wallet by Coach. While browsing through their online shop I have found many really lovely wallets.
  • I also enjoyed reading about the 33 things Sarah Von Bargen has learned in 33 years.
  • Recently I also came across the really great blog of Autumn Whitefield-Madrano. There is a ton of great articles that are thoughtful and intelligently written. I especially enjoyed reading her article about Helen Gurley Brown. Thank you, Autumn, for this lovely and motivating post on the struggle of being a woman that cares about how she looks. As women we often are reduced to our looks but because we are more than our looks, we should play intensely with it. Feminism is completely independent of beauty and mini skirts (that in my opinion can be worn at any age) and hence, there is no conflict as long as we are aware of how others might perceive us and are able to deal with it in such a way that we can play with it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment